Fun Geography Lesson & Bubble Paper

Edit: Sorry we are taking a break from the letter exchange. Thank you to all the families who participated. This was a wonderful experience for my girls.

Lulu has become interested in receiving mail from far a way places (particularly Australia.) I told her we didn't know anyone in Australia and she said the kangaroos could send her mail. Well this got me thinking. I thought it would be fun to have her send out her drawings to far away "friends" in hopes of receiving a letter/drawing in exchange. We will mark on our map when we receive the letter where it came from. If you are interested in participating please leave a comment below. Lulu will send your child a letter and in return we ask that you send one back. Please include who the letter is being sent to, your country or state and an email so I can contact you. Do not list your address for security reasons. I will contact you via email.

This is a fun way to introduce geography to little ones. Lu already loves looking at her maps. Which we have hanging on the wall at her eye level. One is a simple map of all the continents and the other is a detailed map of the world. I got the second map at our dollar store already laminated!

example: Lulu (3.5 yrs old), NJ, USA, hello4crazykings(at)yahoo(dot)com

To prepare for all our letter writing we made some beautiful bubble paper. I was inspired to try Bubble Paper after see the instructions on the Preschool Playbook. This is such a great blog! It is full of great ideas.

I have to warn you Lu swallowed some bubble/paint mixture. Make sure your child is old enough to blow through the straw to make bubbles. Lu was doing great but at the end forgot and took in a mouth full. Despite her swallowing some bubbles -- she and I had a blast blowing big "islands" of bubbles, as Lulu called them.

I hope you decide to join in!

27 comments:

Little Nut Tree said...

We'd be happy to participate. Froglet is 3.5 too. We live in Switzerland.
michaelaoconnor (at) yahoo (dot) co(dot)uk - no spaces.

Anonymous said...

It's a fun idea - I'd be interested. Anna is 2.5, and we are in San Jose, CA. My email is sunnyvale422 at gmail dot com.

toni said...

Hannah (6.5 yrs old) and Rachel (3.5 yrs old), TX, USA, trene1968@yahoo(dot)com

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Great idea, and count me in! Emily is five and we're in PA. Email valerie@frugalfamilyfunblog.com :-)

Anonymous said...

We have been looking at maps recently and would love to participate. My son, Tai, will be 3 in July. NC, USA. ohfishyone@yahoo.com. Great idea!

Preschool Playbook said...

I am so impressed that you tried this craft. I was afraid my post might have turned people off. Love the pink! Good luck with your project.

Beth- the mama bee said...

Fun idea! We're in... Hannah is almost 4, Luke is 2. We are in suny FL. Bmoore_mamabee (at) hotmail (dot) com

Crystal said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Aubrey is 3.5, We live in Utah.
scharris_21@yahoo.com

Jess said...

Hey we are in AUSTRALIA and have some kangaroos who would love to post some things! jessinboots@hotmail.com

Yay!
(:

Jess said...

Oh, I forgot to mention Matilda is 2.
jessinboots(at)hotmail(dot) com

(:

from the land of kangaroos! Australia

Mama Jane said...

I'm sure my dd would love to get some mail and send some in return. Miss J is 5. We live in Idaho (USA). rubyqhammer(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Anonymous said...

My son has no idea about geography yet but he will love to receive a letter. We are in Italy and "trouble" is 2.5, email stelmar4(at)gmail(dot)com

Jamison said...

We are on board too! Perfect timing our maps just went up on the basement walls this week. Charlotte will be four in August and we live in Kentucky.
jamison.rozzi@gmail.com

Gail said...

Oh how fun!
Anna (4) Long Island, NY
risd93 (at) verizon (dot) net

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested in participating!
Hannah is 3.5, and we are in Ontario, Canada. Our email is pljl@rogers.com.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Emily just received Lu's drawing today -- thanks so much!! She is very excited to make something special for Lu! :-)

Mama King said...

Valerie, I am so glad! Lu is anxiously awaiting her first letter. Thanks for playing along!

Bran said...

I don't know how I missed this! We would have loved to participate.

Anonymous said...

If it is not too late, Brooklyn would like to participate. She is 3 and lives in sunny southern California. E-mail Lois524@hotmail.com

Bobbi & Noe said...

Is it too late to do this? I have been wanting for the last few years to do some type of penpal system for the kids to practice reading and writing. This would be perfect! I have 4 kids (9, 6, 4, 2). We live in a small farm town in central California. It's not Australia though sorry. But I do write to other blogmom's from Australia. Maybe a posting on my site might get others to join? My email is bobbicamacho@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Regina said...

I just stumbled across your blog today and would be very interested in participating if it's not too late to join. We live in MS, just outside of Memphis, TN. I have a five and three year old. Both boys. My email is reginalogan@msn.com.

Heather said...

We have been out of the loop on vacation and enjoying our summer. I was checking what I had missed the past month or so and saw this great posting! I hope it's not too late for us to join the FUN! Meara LOVES to get mail also. What a WONDERFUL idea! I hope you don't mind if we use it when school starts. We are going to be using a book called Galloping Around the World. How exciting to be able to place a star on the map to represent each sender.
Meara, 5, TN, jamela_amira(at)yahoo(dot)com

Nicole said...

What a wonderful and fun idea for our little ones! So much education and excitement packed into it - what child doesn't love to receive mail?! I know that I am probably too late to have my little one join in (just stumbled across your blog today), but if your Lu is still up for a bit more penpaling here's the info!
Beth is just under 2.5 and you can find us in San Antonio, TX at dnagrl83@gmail.com

Take a Deep Breath said...

My eight year old would love to write to children all over the world. Any ideas on how we get started . Or maybe someone on here has a child her age. If so e-mail me at tuckerc@bps-ok.org. We are in Oklahoma.

Shannon said...

We would LOVE to participate! (yes I know I'm about 2 months late but I just found your blog and I have been reading old posts!) Bryleigh is 9 months old and Sean is 6 years old, we are in Phoenix, Az but will be in New Zealand in a month
sclaytonaz at hotmail (dot) com

Tina Shaver said...

I think this is a cute idea... Chelsy (2.5 yrs old), IL, USA, tshaver25(at)yahoo(dot)com

Stephanie said...

Hi! If you don't have too many penpals already, Alexandre, 4, a French homeschooled boy, is interested! ludostef (at) gmail (dot) com
By the way I am in the process of creating a yahoogroup for those who might want homeschool penpals in France (English-speaking or non-readers), so some here might be interested?

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs